Sunday, August 22, 2010

Trial Watercolors- Advisor Suggestions

I have had some apprehension about my experience at using different mediums; I can draw and sketch my illustrations well but feel I ruin them when I apply color so it's a point of frustration for me right now because I want to hurry up and be experienced or better at color techniques.

Based on a conversation about this that I had with my advisor, Susan Levan, she suggested that I take drawings that I admire, or from artists work that I like and copy them.

It actually is way more fun than attempting to draw my own with color because it takes the pressure off my concern of ruining my drawings that I like. To copy something, is just for fun and it is helping.

Here are 3 images I painted today, based on Eduoard Erlikh's work.





They're a little shakey and I only spent a few minutes on each one, but the fact that I can do this quickly and it only takes a few minutes is extremely appealling... and relaxing.

It seems like an obvious suggestion but honestly I always looked down upon copying work, so I would never have done this if Susan didn't bring it up.

It just goes to show how helpful having the resources and support are at AIB and makes me want to continue to reach out and gain help/advice/feedback from all my teachers and advisors there.

No comments:

Post a Comment