Sunday, March 7, 2010

Drawing Drawing Drawing Fundamentals

Drawing is the toughest class I have. Probably because I thought it was going to be easy and assumed it would come as second nature to me.

Um, wrong!

I'm so used to drawing as a hobby... it it's not something that I imagined or a project that I am inspired by, I wouldn't even have considered do it.

Defining fun: an image I have in my mind that I take my own sweet time playing with and drawing in my cute little studio.

Defining tough:
4 hours of drawing objects I have no desire to draw and using mediums I have no clue how to use. Using new techniques such as diagramatical lines, measuring, negative space, and a bunch of other stuff... you get the just of.

This class is exhausting and I'm so glad it's on a Friday afternoon because I need the weekend to recuperate and absorb all that I've learned.

Our teacher Joannie Ryan... very cool and talented. But serious. She's not messing around and is pushing us to learn everything we can. She's also really good and pushing us depending on our level, so noone is getting an easy ride.

The class is making me understand true perspective and real scale drawing which is super helpful in relation to my exagerated drawing style. We are covering light sources, objects in relation to one another and how to be extremely observant in really seeing the shape of what we are drawing... not what we think we see or depending on what we believe we understand about a shape... seeing what's really in front of us. Training ourselves with good, thoughtful observations and learning to trust our judgement.

Here's the progression so far:

Week 1:

Class Drawing-Statue Study- Organic Shape

Homework:

Box Study

Week 2

Class: Statue & Object Study- Organic & Geometric Shape

Homework: 3 Objects- Geometric Shapes



Week 3

Class Study: Geometric Shapes & Still Life Composition- Perspective Work



Week 4

Homework: Diagramatical Lines- Still Life Perspective & Negative Shapes

Class work: Interior Space, Negative Space, Perspective



Week 5

Homework: Shading, Gradation, Subtleties in tone & value

Homework: Value & Tone-Still Life


Week 6

Loving My Work Space ;)

Class work: Time for a nude man! Yikes... and yes, he really was naked while wearing his hat

Interior, Geometric & Organic Shapes, Negative Space & Value


This week we're working on a portrait at home... Ya think I can get Jay to pose naked! HA

One of the things my teacher keeps addressing with me is my elongation of the human figure. She kept bringing it up in class... hmmm, looks a little long... I can't figure out why you're doing that... everything looks right. I then mentioned my preference of drawing fashion illustrations and all made sense. She understood and was able to give me some helpful tips... it really showed in the figure above... he looks like a real man, not an alien creature with super long legs and a skinny torso! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment