Sunday, March 7, 2010

Spring 2010 Classes

I'm taking 3 classes to start... need to have at least 6 credits for half time status and AIB has foundation classes that are only 1.5 credits, so looks like 3 classes it has to be.

The 3 I'm starting off with are:
Transfer Lecture
Art History I
Drawing Fundamentals

Like everything I seem to do, this happened REALLY fast! My friend Mike Healy (an AIB alum) suggested the program in December. I checked it out and found the illustration program to be exactly what I was looking for. A degree program that focused around several components of design: Illustration, Design, Creative Writing, Animation, and Digital Design. This was the first time I found a curriculum that incorporated such diversified points of study. http://www.lesley.edu/aib/curriculum/illustration.html

By January 5th I had contacted the school, had a portfolio review and was accepted into the program on Thursday, January 21st... exactly 4 days before the Spring Semester! Luckily, I have some pretty cool bosses over at Harvard, that allowed some flexibility to accomodate my new school schedule.

My work tends to focus on drawings that are stylized towards fashion illustration but I did not want to design clothes... not yet anyway. I really am much more excited and inspired by drawing characters that capture a mood or a gesture, the clothing design is just a by-product. I really want to get better and trained as an artist who will be able to demonstrate a character in meaningful surroundings in many different styles. http://prettypowerhouse.com/portfolio.php

It's funny, I feel pretty confident about my work. Not that I've spent much time focused on it over the past... oh... twenty years. But I have evolved and have gotten down a style I feel fairly good about. That is until about 5 minutes before you walk into a college for a portfolio review. I have to say, it really was an eye opening experience. My admisssions counselor was terrific and super respectful but it's the little things you notice about your own work when you bring it out of the comfort of it's home. I immediately knew I was making the right decision by going back to school and finally obtaining professional training, support & direction. I wanted to know when I step out the door with my work in 4 years that I will know what I am trying to say to the world and know it's being demonstrated well.

The blog is to keep everyone, including myself, up to date on my class work, inspirations, progress, challenges and victory's. It's going to be so much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment